Friday, December 23, 2011

Life of Pi: Discussion 1

 











For this post, everyone can comment on something they noticed that interested them during their reading. I'll also add a question that people may answer if they don't know where to start. We read a lot, so I'll start at the beginning of the book because I am unsure of how far everyone has gotten because it is the beginning of vacation and everyone was probably busy with family. If anyone wants to discuss something on a later page, please feel free. :)

Metaphors and Similes
I found Yann Martel's use of metaphors and similes very refreshing. For example, Martel writes, "That pain is like an axe that chops at my heart" (6). His use of images really bring a vivid feeling to me as I read his work.

Cultural Images
One passage that I found very interesting was Pi's adjustment and survival in Canada (7). The way that Martel writes this experience truly touched me as I could see his embarrassment. The passage reads:

The first time I went to an Indian restaurant in Canada I used my fingers. The waiter looked at me critically and said, "Fresh off the boat, are you?" I blanched. My fingers, which a second before had been taste buds savouring the food a little ahead of my mouth, became dirty under his gaze. They froze like criminals caught in the act. I didn't dare lick them. I wiped them guiltily on my napkin. He had no idea how deeply those words wounded me. They were like nails being driven into my flesh. I picked up the knife and fork.I had hardly ever used such instruments. My hands trembled. My sambar lost its taste (7).

I found this so intriguing for many reasons. I could see the embarrassment that Pi feels as he is mocked by the waiter for his cultural behavior. In India, people eat with their fingers and don't use utensils. Pi feels comfortable as he enters a restaurant that serves food from his native land and is criticized for not adjusting to his new society. I feel Martel's presentation of this cultural guilt is portrayed so well in this passage.

Pi's Zoo Argument
Pi's argument on zoo animals and freedom was very innovative. I had never considered parallels such as evicted residents (17). It brought a new light to that discussion, and I found that I agreed with Pi as he argued that zoos are comfortable homes for animals.

Optional Questions
Feel free to answer one of the following response questions if you aren't sure where to begin. :)

1. Did you find any metaphors or similes very interesting as you read Life of Pi? If so, what was one of these metaphors/similes?
2. What was something that stuck out to you while reading this part of the novel?
3. Did you find yourself agreeing with Pi's argument about zoo animals?

Remember, feel free to comment on whatever you wish. These questions are only suggestions to help guide people who are unsure of where to start. Also, if you think of any questions you would like to pose, definitely include them in your post! :)

Happy Reading and Happy Holidays! :)

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading Part 1 of Life of Pi, I was also fascinated by Pi's descriptions of the zoo atmosphere, particularly his comments about the social conditions among the animals. I felt like Pi, or Yann Martel through Pi, was also describing the social conditions among human beings. For example, Pi says, "For that is what animals are, conservative, one might even say reactionary. The smallest changes can upset them. They want things to be just so, day after day, month after month. Surprises are highly disagreeable to them" (20). Change tends to upset humans in similar ways. Pi also says, "The animal in front of you must know where it stands, whether above you or below you. Social rank is central to how it leads its life. Rank determines whom it can associate with and how; where and when it can eat; where it can rest; where it can drink; and so on. Until it knows its rank for certain, the animal lives a life of unbearable anarchy. It remains nervous, jumpy, dangerous" (55). This hierarchy among the animals sounds a lot like the social hierarchy among people, and it is also reminiscent of the caste system in India. Through Pi's observations, I thought Martel might be commenting on human nature and conditions in post-colonial India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree, Emily. That is a great observation!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?